Diet and Infertility
When you are ready to start a family, following a healthy pre-pregnancy diet and lifestyle is one of the most important things that you can do. With all the information available, it can be confusing and even frustrating trying to figure out what pre-pregnancy diet tips are most important.
How do you even get the best information and avoid becoming overwhelmed ?
Infertility is a complex situation that is caused by a number of factors. Globally, 1 in every 7 couples experience some form of infertility. When it comes to infertility rate in India, approximately 40% of infertility can be attributed to female factors, 40% to male factors, and 20% to unknown causes.
Although over the last few decades, the science behind infertility treatment has progressed considerably, there is still a long way to go in terms of advancement. This means that we are still grappling with infertility and there are so many factors that are not under one’s control.
And what else changed ?
Everything from age to lifestyle to genetics has a role to play when it comes to healthy fertility. Fertility enhancing food plays a big role in enhancing the chances of getting pregnant when it comes to lifestyle changes.
Foods That Increase Fertility
1. Cooked Tomatoes- Cooked tomatoes, like you might have in tomato sauce or tomato soup, augment your fertility. Cooked tomatoes are high in the nutrient lycopene, a powerful antioxidant. Packed with a nutrient Lycopene, this increases the sperm count and increases the motility.
2. Green Vegetables- We should all be having dark green vegetables daily, but they’re especially important when you’re trying to get pregnant. Spinach and kale contain essential prenatal nutrients like calcium, iron, and folate.
3. Beans – Beans are a lean protein and are full of iron, which helps to increase fertility and libido. Low iron levels can result in anovulation, which means there is no ovulation.
4. Carrots – Filled with carotenoids which gives them this colour, boosting your conception chance
5. Asparagus – Folic acid is critical for women who are trying to get pregnant. One cup of asparagus gets you more than half of your daily recommended dose of folic acid, plus your entire daily vitamin K
1. Berries – When it comes to fertility foods, berries are one of the easiest to get more of blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries are rich in antioxidants, folate and zinc.
2. Pomegranates – Antioxidant-rich pomegranates are also rich in many nutrients, including vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, and several other vitamins and minerals that aid in fertility.
3. Banana – Packed with Vitamin B6 which is essential for good egg and sperm development
4. Citrus Fruits – Kiwi, Lemons, Oranges and Limes all have high amounts of Vitamin C which improve sperm quality and stop them from clumping together
Dry fruits and spices
1. Almonds – These contain Vitamin E which helps to protect the DNA in both sperms and eggs
2. Walnuts – If you want to have a fertility-friendly snack, look no further than walnuts. Recommends adding a handful of raw walnuts to your daily diet in order to get that fertility boost.
3. Sunflower Seeds – Packed with Zinc, the most important mineral for male and female infertility
4. Cinnamon – Cinnamon, the spice, as in cinnamon toast, aids in fertility.
5. Garlic –Contains Allicin which improves blood _ow to the sexual organs and protects sperm damage Selenium contained in it is an antioxidant and improve sperm quality
High protein diet
1. Eggs – Eggs are a great source of protein and vitamin D, and they can also help boost your fertility. Eggs are rich in choline.
2. Chicken – Protein is really important for your egg and sperm production
3. Milk – The most popular source of calcium, one cup of 1 percent milk contains 305 milligrams (mg), or about one-third of your daily recommended intake.
Dark Chocolate – Has lots of antioxidants and increases the semen volume and sperm count
Women who are trying to conceive should keep themselves active. Following a regular but moderate exercise regime, maintaining healthy weight enhance chance of fertility. The qualified and experienced doctors at Genesis Fertility and Laparoscopy Centre offer accurate medical advice and advanced infertility treatments. Schedule an appointment today !