" Let Genesis be the first stop in your search for a good fertility centre in seeking joyful parenthood."
Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
What is IUI?
IUI stands for Intra Uterine Insemination. The IUI fertility treatment is artificial insemination where the sperms from the male partner are placed inside the female partner’s womb at the time when she is ovulating.
In the process of natural conception, the sperm has to travel from the vagina and through the cervix to reach the uterus. With IUI, the sperm is directly placed into the uterus. The sperms are thus placed closer to the eggs.This reduces the time and distance that the sperm has to travel.
The primary goal of IUI is to increase the number of sperms that reach the uterus and eventually the fallopian tubes. This process facilitates fertilisation and enhances the likelihood of pregnancy for couples who are unable to conceive naturally.
Who needs IUI?
IUI can prove to be highly beneficial for couples where the initial medical check-up confirms a normal uterus, patent (open) fallopian tubes and a good ovarian reserve.
Let us make a note of the male and female medical conditions when the IUI process can help a couple to conceive.
1. Unreceptive cervical mucus – Issues related to the mucus at the neck of the womb (Cervix) that creates an unfavourable environment for the sperms to survive and hinders their movement from the vagina up to the uterus and fallopian tubes
2. Cervical Ectropion – Also referred to as cervical erosion, this is a medical condition where the inner soft cells of the cervical canal spread to its outer surface. Again, the discharge from ectropion make it inconducive for the sperm to perform well
3. When pain during sex makes intercourse difficult
4. Semen Allergy : In some rare cases, women have been known to be allergic to the proteins present in their male partner’s semen. Ejaculation of the semen into their vagina causes swelling, redness, and a burning sensation.
5. Where multiple attempts of ovulation induction has been unsuccessful
1. Decreased Sperm Motility – Poor sperm quality where the sperm is unable to swim through the cervix
2. Low sperm count
3. Issues with erection and/or ejaculation
4. Living away and visits wife in India occasionally, in these cases sperm can be frozen and used for IUI when the woman ovulates.
5. When the husband is HIV positive and wife isn’t. Sperm can be prepared and IUI can be done whilst transmission to the baby is almost nil.
IUI treatment is artificial insemination that is highly recommended for couples with unexplained infertility. When routine investigations do not pick up any abnormality, and there is no precise reason for infertility in a couple, IUI with ovulation-inducing medicines is the first treatment option offered.
IUI can help overcome certain fertility issues as this procedure uses the high motility sperms that are washed and separated from the lower quality ones.
When is IUI fertility treatment not recommended?
1. Blocked, damaged or removed fallopian tubes
2. Severe case of endometriosis, where the relation between the tube and ovary is lost.
3. History of repeated pelvic infection
Are there any alternatives to IUI?
Absolutely yes! IUI is not the only fertility treatment for couples who want to conceive and ovulation induction IVF are other alternatives.
If you are struggling to have a baby, get in touch with the fertility experts at Genesis Fertility and Laparoscopy Centre. They will help you with your medical check-up, diagnose the underlying fertility disorders, and address your concerns before suggesting a genuine treatment to help you conceive and deliver a healthy baby.
Genesis Fertility and Laparoscopy Centre has state-of-the-art infrastructure, the latest medical equipment, and experienced fertility experts. There is a huge array of satisfied patients who have been able to witness parenthood care at Genesis Fertility and Laparoscopy Centre.
To Experience the joy of holding your little one in your arms, schedule an appointment at Genesis Fertility and Laparoscopy Centre today!