What is semen analysis?
Semen analysis is testing of the semen to check the quality, number, motility, and morphology of a man’s sperm in the fresh ejaculate. This test is performed to understand men’s reproductive health. Semen analysis is the primary key to unlock the male reproductive health system and it helps the infertility specialist to provide tailor-made treatment options.
Who need to get semen analysis done?
- When a couple has not been pregnant after trying for 1 year
- To confirm if vasectomy has been successful
Is there any pre-preparation before semen analysis?
- No sex and masturbation for 3 to 7 days before semen analysis
- No sex and masturbation for 2 days before Sperm DNA Fragmentations
- No hormonal medication
- Not to give sample during fever/infection
- Not to use any lubricant while taking the sample
- Ideally provide sample in the hospital/clinic/lab
- If home sample – not to use condom, deliver sample within half an hour of
collecting the sample
How is semen collected?
Basically, the semen collected by masturbation in wide mouth container provided by lab, and we may collect information about patient identification (full name, date of birth), duration of sexual abstinence.
Who performs semen analysis?
The Andrologist/Embryologist is highly trained and skilled professional to examine the semen sample and provide report.
How are results interpreted?
Semen is analysed in the laboratory and carefully examined manually under microscope or computer-assisted semen analysis is done for three major and many minor parameters: (As per World Health Organization WHO 2020)
1. Semen Concentration: Known as sperm count, by using special counting instrument, we count the number of sperm present per milli liter (ml)
(Normal – 16 millions/ml)
2. Sperm motility: Observe the number fast moving sperm in whole sperm concentration (Total motility 42% and 32% progressive motile sperms)
3. Sperm Morphology: Number of normal shaped sperm in whole sperm concentration (Normal 4%)
4. Apart from these three various other parameters include
- Semen volume (1.4 ML)
- Viability (Normal 54%)
- Colour (whitish to gray)
- Ph (7.2 to 7.8)
- Liquefaction time (15 to 30 minutes)
- White blood cells
What advanced tests are available in semen analysis?
- Acrosome intactness
- Sperm motility index
- Sperm DNA Fragmentation
- Sperm aneuploidy
- Oxidative stress
- Sperm Survival test
- Anti-sperm antibody test (Sperm agglutination
Is it necessary to have both good sperm and good oocyte?
Male and female gametes i.e., sperm and oocyte must be healthy enough to achieve the successful ongoing pregnancy. The semen parameters play 50% role in conception. Once we know the semen parameters, it allows us to plan further steps of management to achieve pregnancy.
Does good semen analysis guarantee a pregnancy?
Good semen analysis alone does not guarantee fertility and guaranteed childbirth, because various other factors also can cause infertility in men and women.
If you are struggling to have a baby, get in touch with the fertility experts at Genesis Fertility and Laparoscopy Centre. They will help you with your medical check-up, diagnose the underlying fertility disorders, and address your concerns before suggesting a genuine treatment to help you conceive and deliver a healthy baby.
Genesis Fertility and Laparoscopy Centre has state-of-the-art infrastructure, the latest medical equipment, and experienced fertility experts. There is a huge array of satisfied patients who have been able to witness parenthood care at Genesis Fertility and Laparoscopy Centre.
To Experience the joy of holding your little one in your arms, schedule an appointment at Genesis Fertility and Laparoscopy Centre today!